Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring Into the Future

So I haven't blogged in a while. Sorry.

I pretty much exhausted myself finishing this draft of Book 3. Writers often talk about "the fainting couch," where you go after you finish a particularly demanding draft for a certain recovery time. Boy, did I ever need the fainting couch after finishing this draft.

Only, I didn't really do the fainting couch this time. I took one day to clean my house. And then I set out to really live it up with my kids. Poor little people spent so much time watching videos and being shuttled off to daycare while I wrote and wrote and wrote, so I figured they could really use some fun, special time. So that's what we did. We went to children's museums. I took my son to Disneyland, where we had an entirely pirate-themed day. We went to the farm, the beach, an assortment of parks. I made it my goal to do something super fun with them every day.

A few days ago, my son asked me, "Mommy, how much longer can we have fun?"

Me: "I don't know, honey."

Will: (big sigh) "I hope we can have fun forever."

Me: (big sigh) (because I know the revision letter from my editor is coming. Soon. And then it will be back to the grindstone.)

So yeah, I didn't feel much like blogging.

Then I went to RT (the Romantic Times Book Convention in Chicago!) That was AWESOME. I will totally recap all about it in a couple days.

Then (and I mean like the minute I got off the plane from RT, seriously) I got sick with a nasty cold.

Which brings us to now. This morning I can breathe a little. The kids are eating their lunches. And I am BLOGGING.

I have a lot to catch up on, obviously.

First things first, though, I need to announce that I am part of the Spring Into the Future tour with Tahereh Mafi (author of SHATTER ME), Anna Carey (author of EVE), and Veronica Rossi (author of UNDER THE NEVER SKY). Tahereh was sweet enough to ask me to do their event in Pasadena (since I live thereabouts), and then we noticed that we were all going to be in Chicago the following day, so she asked me to join them there, too. It was a blast. I am a HUGE fan of all three of these ladies.

Anna Carey, myself, Marie Lu, Tahereh Mafi, and Veronica Rossi signing books at Vromans in Pasadena

So I was so honored and thrilled to be asked back to be part of the Pacific Northwest leg of the tour.

Here are the dates and information:

May 3, San Francisco, signing at 7pm at Copperfields in Petaluma.

May 4, Portland, signing at 7pm at Barnes & Noble in Clackamas.

May 5, Seattle, Teen Brunch at 11am at the University Book Store, Mill Creek.

So come see me! I will be doing some other events a bit later in the summer. Keep checking my sidebar on the blog here for future events.

In other news:

We have an official title for Book 3. I am just waiting for the greenlight to tell you. I have also seen a mock-up of the cover, and I can honestly say, it is my FAVORITE of all my covers so far. It is GORGEOUS. Swoon. I loves.

I am working on a new project. Which has been lots of fun. It is a completely different world and voice from the Unearthly series, and that is pretty much all I can tell you about it. See my progress in the sidebar, also.


11 comments:

Kristina said...

I'm so excited you will be coming back to Seattle. I was already really excited about this event now I'm even more excited about this event!

Alexa said...

When will your book come out? (You are amazing, by the way. (At least in the eyes of this ten year old.) and why don't any good YA authors come to my town? Why only old geezers?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to dive into the Unearthly world again :"> Why can't 2013 come sooner?

AND SO EXCITED FOR YOUR NEW PROJECT!!!

Roberta said...

Congrats on finishing the draft! Can't wait for Book #3 and for your new work to come out!

funkelstein17 said...

Congrats on finishing the 3rd book! I can´t wait to read how everything will work out for Clara, Christian and Tuck. Your Hallowed ARC still is my most prized posession (besids my kids and husband)and it seems like I can´t stop showing it around proudly.

Take some deep breaths, I´m a working mom too and know how exhausing that mom-kiddos-work triangle can be. Moms should not be allowed to have a conscience, not in this matter, because that turns out always to be a bad one ;-)

I´m super-excited about your new project too and would love to hear more about that soon. Take good care of you!

Sofia SImpson said...

Cynthia, I have to tell you, and yes, this statement must start just like that, your book hit the mark on so many levels. Hallowed is not only about a boy and a girl, or two boys and one girl, but a story of reality. And your book is fictional and a fantasy! Yet, I can and do say that your book is real.
You nailed what it is like to lose.
How it feels with all of the senses. I thank you for that.
Having lost my mom at 14, it brought me back to that time, so vividly, but in a sweet reminder, not a horrible flashback. Thank you for that too.
Thank you, for using Meg and Clara, to remind me of my time with my mom, before and after she passed.
I am an aspiring YA author myself, I am writing my second non-published book, and I hope I can capture life like you have in Hallowed. It is now my all-time favorite book (that ranking was with the book, Firelight by Sophie Jordan, who will always be one of my favs) I loved the fire of firelight, and I love the soft reality of Hallowed. You made tragic liveable and it has to be, so you nailed it. Firelight and Hallowed are two different books, but both wonderful in their own ways.
Thank you for being an inspiration to me, I am amazed, I just finished Hallowed and am in shake-my-head-amazement, still. Have a wonderful day and wish I was on the Pacific coast and not the Atlantic next week or I would come and see you for my bday!
Many blessings to you Cynthia for blessing so many others with your hard work.
Sofia Simpson

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Bro you cant just say that and not tell us more! =( anyway sounds amazing when can we find out bout the names and cover for Book 3? when does it come out. such a good writer! big fan! love your books and i cant wait to know more about this new book your writing! TELL US MORE

rs said...

OMG OMG when is Book 3 coming out.. I cant wait for it.

Julie said...

I loved both Unearthly and Hallowed. To date they are my number 1 2011 and 2012 books. They're absolutely beautiful and part of that are the emotions. Plus, I adore the skiing scenes. And the nature is just breathtaking. Jackson Hole, i will visit you sometime, i promise! Meanwhile I'll just wait for book 3... I know you'll do a great job. THANK YOU for being such an awesome writer!
I do have a question. In october there was talk of having Uneartly made into a television series? I didn't find it in the pilot list for the CW... Is there any news or does that mean the project's off? Good luck with the new story! x

jenn and mary said...

I'm so glad that I got to meet you in Pasadena, I only wish I would have had the chance to read Unearthly and Hallowed. I absolutely loved your series. I'm in SoCal so I hope to get another opportunity to meet you again and let the fangirl loose. :) Happy Writing!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I certainly enjoyed every
little bit of it. I've got you book-marked to look at new things you post…
Also visit my web site : how to get abs fast